The Hacker-in-Residence Program
Welcome to SparkFun’s Hacker-in-Residence program! You’re either here because you’re interested in applying to hang out with us for a few weeks of extreme geekery, you’re just plain curious about the program and what it entails, or you fell into an internet wormhole trying to find that one Jack Nicholson gif and, after bouncing around the cyberspace-time continuum for a bit, have been deposited inexplicably onto this page.
The physics of internet time travel notwithstanding, hopefully the following information will answer your questions, and if you have others feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Here’s how it works:
- The program is open to anyone 18+ (although we’re open to making special arrangements for child geniuses) who is able to provide their own travel to Boulder, CO, as well as a complete and detailed description of their planned project and goals for their stay.
- If needed, we will work with you to provide housing in Boulder and a workspace at SparkFun’s headquarters for a period of 2-4 weeks, depending on the project. We will also do our best to accommodate your needs for non-SparkFun parts, as well as access to our catalog of products, staff expertise and workspace. Please estimate your material needs in your application and we’ll work with you!
- In exchange for access to our resources, we hope you will end your residency at SparkFun with a finished project and documentation of your process (photos, video, interviews with our team, your own notes, etc.), including a tutorial hosted on SparkFun so our community can learn from and use your experience!
Our first Hacker in Residence testing his tethered quadcopter
The Hacker-in-Residence program was conceived as a way to foster inventorship and strengthen the DIY electronics community we love, as well as provide access to the tools and resources we take for granted.
We’ve already had the opportunity to work with and learn from our inaugural hackers and their project, and we’re excited to expand the program! If you have a great idea or a solution to a problem - we want to help you build it!
- Is the program open to international applicants?
- Sure! Why not! We’re open to hosting hackers from outside the US, as long as you are able to make the arrangements to get yourself to Boulder. We don’t have a lot of experience dealing with visas and such, but if you can get to us, we’d be happy to consider applicants from other parts of the world!
More questions about the program? Leave a comment below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.