Shift: M-F 9-5 Full time
SparkFun Electronics is looking for an Accounts Receivable specialist. Specifically, this person would maintain the accounting for all incoming funds. Daily activities in this position also include the creation of customer invoices, applying payments from multiple sources, monitoring of outstanding accounts, review and set-up of customer credit, and other tasks in support of the accounting office. This position works closely with the Accounts Payable specialist and Accounting Manager, interacts routinely with our customer service staff, has moderate contact with customers, and includes light collections work.
We are a casual work environment, with an equally casual dress code and open lines of communication. While we strive for excellence and seek to surround ourselves with highly intelligent and technically advanced over-achievers, we enjoy and promote creativity, out-of-the-box thinking and having fun in all aspects of what we do. We have an eye on the bottom line, but we are in it for the ride.
Duties and Responsibilities Overview
- Ensures proper documentation/verification and recording of transactions
- Assigns receipts appropriately to the chart of accounts and departments
- Analyzes accounts and prepares reconciliations as needed
- Prepares ad hoc reports as needed
- Resolves discrepancies
- Adheres to daily and weekly schedules and assists in month end closing
- This position will be fully versed and proficient in our Accounts Payable function to provide crossdepartment support and collaboration. The position will have exposure to higher accounting functions and will have an opportunity to participate in such functions.
- Meets deadlines, exercises strong organizational and prioritization skills, and demonstrates a high level of attention to detail
- Works on an individual and team basis to provide timely and accurate reporting of information
- Displays willingness to make timely decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in decision-making process
- Has the ability to exercise independent judgment in making decisions and resolving complex problems
- Knowledge of general accounting procedures, specifically those related to accounts receivable
- Knowledgeable about relevant computer applications
- Proficient and accurate at data entry
- Has good communication and problem-solving skills
- Has the ability to work under pressure
- Is able to maintain confidentiality
A Big Plus Might Include
- You are interesting. You like stuff and want to tell us about your stuff
- You’re a technology junkie. You build stuff
- Your excel spreadsheets are like, totally awesome
- You fit into our culture. (Don’t worry the Petri dish is big)
- You want something awesome and you’re willing to dredge through the mundane in order to experience it
Education and Experience
- 1 to 3 years of related accounting experience (or more)
- Proficiency with Excel and QuickBooks (PayPal would be awesome)
- Experience reconciling accounts
- Knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures in A/R (and/or A/P)
- Intermediate to Expert knowledge of how to navigate, shop, search, and communicate online expected
- Associates degree or working toward degree in Accounting or related field
- Technically adept
Applying For This Position
When filling out your application online, please be descriptive in your cover letter. Explain how your experience and style will fit in with SparkFun in this position. At the end of your cover letter, please address the following:
- Give an example of something highly technical that you recently accomplished, what it was, what you enjoyed about it, what you didn’t like about it… it doesn’t have to be work related (it could be something like programming your DVR). Really let loose and describe your experience with it.
- Name a recent software or app that you downloaded. Was there a learning curve in using it? How did you go about learning to use it? Has the software or app lived up to your expectations (have you used it the way you thought you would use it?)
- Describe a “crunch time” in your work or personal life. What is it? Do you like it? How do the people around you perceive you to be when you are in “crunch time?”
- Brag about your customer service skills – what does internal customer service mean to you?
You are encouraged, but not required, to upload your resume, even though much of that information will be entered online in our application system. Please consider uploading a non-resume image or document of your choosing. It could be a sample of your work, a cool recipe, a picture of something interesting, a comment/letter someone wrote about you, a sample of your writing… it can be anything. Good luck with this “open ended” request!