The SparkFun Kitter combines a wide variety of raw materials in the right quantities and assortment, allowing a customer to assemble a complete final product at home.
Pay: $14.00 / hour
Shift: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Since 2003, SparkFun has been helping turn ideas into reality – whether you’re creating a smart weather station, exploring the frontier of machine learning, building a robot for school or prototyping your first (or tenth) product. No matter your vision or skill level, our open source components, resources and online tutorials are designed to broaden access to innovative technology and make the road to a finished project shorter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. SparkFun offers an abundance of opportunities to learn new skills from other Funions, in addition to many other benefits and perks.
About the Department
This position will reside in The Ktting team. The Kitting team is a subset of the Production Department. The Kitting team is responsible for the creation of over 100 unique kit assemblies that are crucial to the sustenance of SparkFun's product offerings. The team is comprised of many unique individuals, each bringing their own set of skills and abilities. Quality, consistency, and efficiency are the driving metrics within The Kitting team.
SparkFun's Next Kitter
The Kitter is responsible for assembling full kits, ensuring they are ready for customer use. This includes pulling raw materials from inventory, counting out correct quantities of parts, and ensuring each kit receives the correct combination of raw materials.
Working closely with all other members of The Kitting team, the Kitter will ensure that SparkFun built products are available for sale at all times, and replenished as quickly as possible when they run out.
The right candidate will have a strong attention to detail, being able to spot errors or potential errors quickly and take action to correct them. In addition, this ideal candidate will be able to take on repetitive tasks without losing focus or speed.
Essential Job Functions
- Utilizing the Bill of Materials for each kit (both physical and digital BOMs), pull the correct components and quantities from Production inventory
- Quantity of materials is determined by batch size
- Throughout the picking process, maintain the inventory in a clean and organized fashion, utilizing the provided bins and other containers to hold parts
- Accurately record pulling parts contributions in Sparkle
- Utilizing the Bill of Materials, follow any predetermined instructions to organize the raw materials inside of each kit
- Pre-package any items that may require additional protection (batteries, plated through hole(PTH) components pushed into foam, etc)
- Assemble complete kits, utilizing all raw materials, to fulfill the requested batch quantity
- Participate in “assembly line” style kits when applicable
- Accurately record killing contributions in Sparkle
- Review the Production Schedule and identify kit batches that are ready for their quality control inspection
- Follow predetermined quality control metrics for each kit to perform a quality control inspection on applicable batches (25%, 100%, etc)
- Accurately record quality control contributions in internal ERP system
- When a kitting error is identified, record it accordingly in the appropriate spreadsheet
- Review the Production Schedule and identify kit batches that are ready for final packaging
- Package each individual kit in the batch, ensuring raw materials are securely positioned inside
- Close each kit and apply a SKU sticker identifying the product and batch number
Maintain Clean & Organized Workspace
- Maintain good inventory practices & a productive work environment
- Including breaking down boxes, sweeping, & stocking supplies
- Participate in monthly warehouse cleaning
- Keep entire Kitting area organized
Required Skills and Abilities
- Attention to detail & positive attitude
- On occasion, ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work on your feet for extended periods of time (3-7 hours per day)
- Familiarity with Windows Operating System and Internet Browsers like Chrome
- Experience with Google’s Suite of Products (i.e. GMail, Sheets, Docs, etc)
- Must be able to work effectively in a collaborative, team environment & lead by example
- Proficient communication skills, both written and verbal
Additional Skills (not required or preferred, just bonus skills):
- Ability to distinguish the difference between similar electronic components
- Ability to quickly adapt to change & maintain flexibility
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, & collaboration experience
- Electronic or kit experience is a plus
SparkFun Benefits & Perks
SparkFun Electronics offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, in addition to several perks. In regards to benefits, we offer medical, dental, and vision. And, we offer a 401k match, disability, life insurance, and PTO/Sick Time.
SparkFun offers many perks, including but not limited to a dog-friendly workplace, professional development opportunities, an on-site fitness center, lunch and learns, and internal classes to learn from fellow Funions!