SparkFun is looking for a Technical Sales Support Specialist to join our Business Development Team.
Pay: $50,000 - $60,000 / year
Shift: M-F 9-5 with Flexibility
Department: Business Development
Since 2003, SparkFun has been helping turn ideas into reality – whether you’re creating a smart weather station, exploring the frontier of machine learning, building a robot for school or prototyping your first (or tenth) product. No matter your vision or skill level, our open source components, resources and online tutorials are designed to broaden access to innovative technology and make the road to a finished project shorter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. SparkFun offers an abundance of opportunities to learn new skills from other Funions, in addition to many other benefits and perks.
About SparkFun's Next Technical Sales Support Specialist
The role of the Technical Sales Support Specialist is to support the Sales Team in achieving sales growth objectives by providing in-depth technical consultation and an amazing customer/potential customer experience. The Technical Sales Support Specialist will have direct communication with accounts; work closely with Sales, Technical Support, Engineering, Supply Chain, and Product Services; will be relied upon for deep technical knowledge as well as the ability to communicate and build relationships with accounts; and will help build foundational knowledge of the Sales Team. This position is highly technical and is at the front line to engage in meaningful, technical conversations, consulting with the Engineering Team when necessary.
Essential Job Functions
- Technical Consultation w/Sales and Direct to Accounts
- Work closely with Sales Team to support account acquisition, support, and growth strategies
- Brainstorm goals with accounts and recommend SparkFun hardware & service solutions
- Build ongoing relationships with accounts; create connection with technical counterparts
- Engage in technical conversation with existing and potential accounts; provide information and guidance on product selection, product alternatives, and kit/board components
- Provide complete product, ecosystem, and topical presentations and demos to existing and potential accounts
- Support the qualification, development, and closing of opportunities
- Support B2C, B2B, OEM, gov, distributor, and education accounts
- May involve communication via field visits, web calls, emails, and chat
- From time to time, provide post-sale technical support/troubleshooting when it can not be addressed via the forums
- As needed, participate in trade shows, digital events, supplier presentations, and related activities
- Support forecasting efforts; contribute to pricing and contract conversations
- Technical Vetting, Review, Recommendations
- Vet technical opportunities (hardware and services) for initial viability
- Qualify opportunities and determine the most effective moment to loop in other teams
- Understand customer goals and make product/service proposals
- Review custom kit and custom development BOMs to ensure they are technically sound; technically feasible; and will function as the account envisions
- Suggest alternative kit and BOM parts that may increase ease of use, improve performance, and/or increase manufacturing/fulfillment efficiency
- From time to time, research suppliers for products and product alternatives
- Asset Development
- Develop technical presentations and one-pagers that can be used by others
- Build out technical demos that easily show the functionality and benefits of SparkFun products
- Compose technical content requirements for RFIs, RFPs, and other requests
- As relevant, develop technical documentation, such as tutorials, sample code, and schematics
- As relevant, develop and share public content - particularly technical use cases and demos
- Maintain records of processes, demos, sample requests, activities and contracts
- Collect and share competitive intelligence and market feedback
- From time to time, collaborate with Marketing to implement campaigns to support common trends; develop and release content; and to develop scalable sales tools
- Stay abreast of market trends and competitive landscape
- High level of knowledge of electronics, including SparkFun products; deep understanding of prototyping tools and/or hobbyist electronics
- The ideal candidate will have a diverse technical background that spans several different technologies.
- 2+ years working in technical sales or engineering field
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Outstanding relationship management and influence capabilities
- Experiencing communicating with technical customers/accounts
- Ability to translate technical knowledge into plain and easy-to-understand language
- Sales, sales support, technical support, technical consultation experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows and Office products; experience using CRM, ERP, and collaboration/project management systems
- Associates Degree; or equivalent combination education and experience
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in parallel and balance workload based on priority
- Experience with working on cross-functional teams
- Electronics engineering degree
- Experience working in a new product development environment and an understanding of the design process.
- Experience in prototyping with electronics
SparkFun Benefits & Perks
SparkFun Electronics offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, in addition to several perks. In regards to benefits, we offer medical, dental, and vision. And, we offer a 401k match, disability, life insurance, and a flexible leave policy.
SparkFun offers many perks, including but not limited to a dog-friendly workplace, professional development opportunities, an on-site fitness center, lunch and learns, and internal classes to learn from fellow Funions! Flexible schedules are also available.