SparkFun is looking for a Sales Representative to join our Business Development team.
Pay: $45,000 - $55,000 / year
Shift: M-F 9-5 with flexibility
Department: Business Development
Since 2003, SparkFun has been helping turn ideas into reality – whether you’re creating a smart weather station, exploring the frontier of machine learning, building a robot for school or prototyping your first (or tenth) product. No matter your vision or skill level, our open source components, resources and online tutorials are designed to broaden access to innovative technology and make the road to a finished project shorter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. SparkFun offers an abundance of opportunities to learn new skills from other Funions, in addition to many other benefits and perks.
About SparkFun's Next Sales Representative
The primary purpose of this role is to increase revenue through new account acquisition. This role employs a consultative and solutions-/values-based approach to selling. In addition to new accounts and new account development, this role is fully responsible for ensuring transparency into leads, opportunities/pipeline, wins, and losses.
Essential Job Functions
Win new business (new accounts)
- Work with Sales & Support Manager to identify targets for prospecting and lead gen campaigns
- Followup, qualify, and convert leads; monitor all lead forms
- Develop prospecting targets and outreach plan; track conversion
- Collaborate with Marketing to develop and execute on lead generations campaigns and to develop impactful sales tools
- Deliver formal and informal presentations that articulate a compelling value proposition and move account to the next step
- Leverage internal resources (people) to push deals over the edge or to take them to the next level
- Leverage business levers (example: terms and other operational/financial levers) to make doing business with SparkFun easier and more compelling
- Develop accurate and compelling proposals/quotes and process orders; collaborate with internal teams to most efficiently get orders out the door
- As the opportunity arises, support marketing efforts (for example, at trade shows and events)
- Serve as voice of the customer in internal conversations; including bringing to light external needs and pain points (close the intel gap)
Maintain deep knowledge of SparkFun products, services, and story
- Be an evangelist, clearly articulate SparkFun’s value proposition, product and service offerings (features, benefits, competitive advantages)
- Know the catalog, upcoming releases, and external trends
- Be attuned to SparkFun’s future - know upcoming product/documentation releases and marketing campaigns/promos to inform selling plans
- Know your internal resources - it takes a village to sell, build bridges and know all presale and post sale resources that support account growth
- Participate in all sales-team meeting and internal trainings; understand policies parameters for selling
- Participate in professional development opportunities to increase your product, customer, selling, and industry knowledge
3. Maintain accurate and timely sales pipeline, customer database records/activity reports, and up-to-date sales forecasts using the company CRM system
- Sales experience - we are looking for someone who has a passion for building relationships, solving problems, and closing business
- Mid-to-high level of knowledge of electronics, including SparkFun products with some understanding of prototyping tools and/or hobbyist electronics
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Outstanding relationship management and influence capabilities
- Ability to translate technical knowledge into plain and easy-to-understand language
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows and Office products; experience using CRM, ERP, and collaboration/project management systems
- Bachelor’s Degree; or equivalent combination education and experience
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in parallel and balance workload based on priority
- Experience with working on cross-functional teams
- Experience in technical sales
SparkFun Benefits & Perks
SparkFun Electronics offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, in addition to several perks. In regards to benefits, we offer medical, dental, and vision. And, we offer a 401k match, disability, life insurance, and a flexible leave policy.
SparkFun offers many perks, including but not limited to a dog-friendly workplace, professional development opportunities, an on-site fitness center, lunch and learns, and internal classes to learn from fellow Funions! Flexible schedules are also available.
*Commission opportunities are available in addition to base salary.