SparkFun is looking for a Technical Documentation and Content Specialist to join our Marketing Communications team.
Pay: $45,000 - $55,000 / year
Shift: M-F 9-5 with flexibility
Department: Marketing Communications
Since 2003, SparkFun has been helping turn ideas into reality – whether you’re creating a smart weather station, exploring the frontier of machine learning, building a robot for school or prototyping your first (or tenth) product. No matter your vision or skill level, our open source components, resources and online tutorials are designed to broaden access to innovative technology and make the road to a finished project shorter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. SparkFun offers an abundance of opportunities to learn new skills from other Funions, in addition to many other benefits and perks.
SparkFun's Next Technical Documentation and Content Specialist
The Technical Documentation and Content Specialist is driven by a voracious appetite for new tech, how it works, how it is built, how it is used, and the endless possibilities for application - as well as the desire to share it! The primary focus of this role is written documentation/content around concepts, ecosystems, different types of technology, demos/projects, and partner/3rd party content. To be successful, this role requires an ability to not only design and develop original projects and content, but also to document the work, thoughts, and ideas of others (both internal and external).
Essential Job Functions
- Develop Technical Documentation and Creative Content
- Essentially, this role documents and publishes content that will be helpful and interesting to the SparkFun community and key market segments; this content will mostly focus on key technologies, new product introductions, and product families that are priority areas for SparkFun and includes:
- Original Content: This will mostly focus on tutorials, sample code, pillar/ecosystem pages, and blogs and may comprise content around target technologies/technology concepts, product families, and original demos/projects; this requires direct research, ideation, and building out demos w/sample code
- Partner & 3rd Party Content: This could take the form of interviews, use cases, article/blog recaps, annotated resource lists, tutorial for projects, deep dive into partner tech, reviews, and so forth; this requires directly contacting and working with external contacts
- Various Formats: Although there are a wide variety of content types/formats that could fall under this role, primary content types include tutorials, sample code, blogs
- Content Optimization: Ensure content is optimized for the major search engines to improve discoverability
- From time to time, this role may engage in video, event, or virtual/live work; however, 80%+ of the role is writing
2. Monitor and engage with audience comments and questions. Once published, monitor comments and respond to community members - this could be in social channels, blogs, tutorials, Git:hub, or other platforms.
3. Evaluate impact of content and adjust as needed.
- Demonstrated technical writing ability and research skills
- Experience creating original physical computing projects/demos w/sample code
- Software/programming skills (Priority - Arduino and Python/MicroPython; others helpful)
- Some experience in at least one of the following: geospatial, internet of things (IoT), machine learning, software mapping, or environmental sensors
- Experience collaborating with internal and external partners to develop content
- Working knowledge of embedded electronics
- Well informed regarding professional use cases and applications of SparkFun products
- Experience using GitHub
- Ability to work within tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Voracious learner enthusiastic about building things with and learning about new technology
- Ability to work fast, adapt and take constructive criticism
- Ability to simplify complicated content
- Proactive, independent, team-oriented contributor
- Degree or certificate in electrical engineering, software engineering or computer science (not required)
- Experience in data collection/visualization and, preferably, experience using various data visualization and machine learning platforms
SparkFun Benefits & Perks
At SparkFun, we ask a lot of our employees, and that’s why we give so much in return. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Medical/dental/vision plan
- Matching 401(k),
- A casual dress code for you
- Dogs - yes, we bring dogs to work
- Full gym with climbing wall. If that’s not your style we offer a monthly gym stipend or onsite yoga
- We have a great employee discount and opportunities to create and share content with the SparkFun community
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid time to volunteer
- EcoPass (public transportation pass)
- Paid time and/or flexible time off
- Summer BBQs, work parties, and more!