Description: This is a shield for the CC3000 WiFi Module. The CC3000 from TI (Texas Instruments) is a self-contained wireless network processor that makes incorporating internet connectivity into your project simple. Instead of the more standard UART communication method, the CC3000 module utilizes an SPI interface allowing you, the user, to control the flow of data as you please. What makes the CC3000 unique is its ability to associate to a WiFi access point using a cell phone app in the Texas Instruments process called SmartConfig.
This shield even provides an optional feature that allows you to attach an external antenna, just in case you need a little extra power. This is a handy feature if you want to route an antenna to the outside of an enclosure or to increase your WiFi gain. The CC3000 Shield has a standard Arduino shield layout with 2 rows of pins on either side. The right-side headers have been broken out on the shield if you want to solder headers or wires for easy prototyping in the area right of the microSD card slot. We have even designed this board so that the CC3000 is on the back of the shield reducing the chance of interference from the barrel jack or USB connector.
Note: The CC3000 WiFi Shield comes as a stand-alone board. Headers will need to be purchased separately, check the related items below!
Based on 4 ratings:
1 of 1 found this helpful:
The shield is working as expected, but it doesn’t fit well over an Arduino Uno R3. The shield is ~1/8" too long on the left side (side the SD card reader is on) and that hits the USB and power jack of the Uno such that the shield can’t sit flush to the Uno’s headers. Still, the Stackable Header Kit (PRT-11417) pins are long enough to allow for this flexibility, it just makes the shield+Uno connection a little wobbly.
Could not get the CC3000 to initialize with any of the SFE_CC3000.h libraries plugged into an OSEPP Mega 2560 R3 Arduino board. Tried everything software possible but no luck…..
The shield has a dual parallel header row for all the digital and comms pins passed up from the Arduino and the INT, EN and CS lines are hardwired to pins 2,7 and 10 respectively.
To solve the issue: I installed stack-able headers on the outer edges to match the footprint of the Ardiono and a male header in the parallel header row. I installed a stackable 3x2 header on the underside of the board in the ISP header so it plugs diretly into the ICSP on the Arduino board so that MISO, SCK and MOSI gets connected via this route. I cut the link tracks between the parallel header pads for the SCK, MISO, MOSI, SDCS, EN and INT lines so I can assign them to what ever I pins I want.
As soon as I assigned INT, EN and CS to Pins 3,22 and 24 respectively the module started working.
I suggest an upgraded design which includes a 7 bit dip switch that allows the user to disconnect any of the hardwired lines between the two headers as they wish, or at least 0R jumpers that can be removed if needed. This will make for much wider compatibility across the different Arduino boards.
Works fine now…
Hi, Sorry for the trouble. And thank you for the notes on how you worked around the issue. I’ll pass along your suggestions for possible revisions. Thanks
I was pleased at how easy it is to get the WiFi talking to the access point. Beyond that, I still have not figured out how to modify the usage. For instance, I want to perform peer-to-peer linking. I am slowly getting the impression that it can’t be done, but I’m not sure yet.
I was able to get this shield up and running super quick. After a bit of work getting it to connect with my WiFi, I was able to push sensor data easily to data.sparkfun.com. Very easy to use!