×

SparkFun Electronics will be closed on November 26, 2020 and November 27, 2020 for the Thanksgiving holiday. We will begin normal operations at 9:00 AM Mountain Time on November 30, 2020.

×

Please see all COVID-19 updates here as some shipments may be delayed due to CDC safety and staffing guidelines. If you have an order or shipping question please refer to our Customer Support page. For technical questions please check out our Forums. Thank you for your continued support.

Risen

Member Since: January 6, 2010

Country: United States

  • I've been developing a racing timer for first-person-view drones. The timer uses receivers to track the signal strength of the video broadcast. While those receivers aren't directly managed by the Pi, (they're on Arduinos,) it acts as a local server to start/stop the races, collect the times into a database, calculate and publish race results, and do event management tasks like set up heats and classes. It can also control LED strips and display images on LED panels, and it serves up a JSON API for 3rd party use of race data. We're now working on a system to display information right in a pilot's OSD during a race. All of this can be controlled right from a phone or tablet on race day since many of the Pi models have built-in WiFi.

    All open-source, of course! https://github.com/RotorHazard/RotorHazard

  • The 1307 that I put into a standalone clock project loses a couple minutes per month. It's a little annoying to have to adjust it that frequently.

  • When I built my Nixie clock, I searched architectural salvage as well as some of the places you mentioned. There were a ton of great potential enclosures there. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for though and went a different route I'm somewhat surprised you didn't mention: I built it!

    The main construction was oak panels from the local hardware store. I wanted a metal grating for the window and had to search far and wide for scrap (talked to metal workers in the area, visited the scrap yard...) and ended up with a vent from a piece of exercise equipment.

    It's a whole lot more work this way, but the end result can be perfectly suited and truly unique.

    Anyone interested: https://plus.google.com/113825690086131396297/posts/3YxUHktmzoH

  • I can't recommend this. I tried it and the encoder broke under the pressure. If you have your heart set on the 10001 knob, you'll want to drill out the knob a bit more and use some glue.

    Update: I drilled my 10001 knob out at 15/64ths inch, and now it press-fits great on the shaft of the (replacement) encoder. I probably won't even glue it.

  • Yep; I've got the same issue. Even the usual line breaks are gone now.

  • With a bit of filing, this fits nicely in the area reserved for the ethernet port in the PRT-10088 Arduino Project Enclosure.

No public wish lists :(