May 13, 2010
Tutorial - MaKey MaKey Quickstart Guide (Part 2)
about 2 years ago
I also got my Makey Makey from Joylabz (Sorry Sparkfun, I didn’t notice you were selling it :( ) and had this issue. Here is what I did to solve it:
1) Remove any drivers you have for the device already
2) Windows will recognize the device as an Arduino Leonardo. Update the drivers and point it to your Arduino folder.. for me /arduino01.0.3/drivers
3) Windows will install the Arduino Leonardo drivers and set it to an available comport.
4) Open your arduino IDE and the Makey Makey source file from sparkfun.
5) Make sure you have Tools->Board selected as Arduino Leonardo and also Tools->Serial Port selected to the appropriate COM Port
6) Open Device manager, get the Arduino IDE and your device manager on the same screen so you can see them both
7) Attempt to upload to the makey makey (The right arrow button)
8) Watch closely in your device manager, you will see the Arduino Leonardo disappear and briefly the Makey Makey will appear under your unknown devices implying it has no drivers. You need to click on it fast to catch it and select “Update Drivers”
9) Direct the driver selection to the location where you stored your sparkfun makey makey driver. For me this is /Documents/Arduino/hardware/MakeyMakey/driver
10) It will attempt to install the driver but most likely say it failed in the end because it didn’t have enough time
11) Wait for the Arduino IDE to fail again, then try reprogramming, possibly one more time if needed.
12) Bask in the sweet joy of seeing “Done Uploading” and enjoy your makey makey
What I believe is going on is that the device is placed in a programming mode briefly when you try to upload and is looking for a makey makey device.
Sorry for the long explanation, just trying to make it easy for everyone. Let me know if this worked for anyone.
No public wish lists :(
Forgot your password?
No account? Register one!