Member Since: March 15, 2006

Country: United States



  • Correct. If you’ve managed to blow away your bootloader (which can only be done with a hardware programmer) then you’ll need to contact SparkFun tech support.

  • If you record the output using an audio editor like Audition or Audacity, you can zoom in on any anomalies. With sine waves anything wrong should be readily apparent - both audibly and visibly. I’ve spent a lot of time looking at the output and haven’t seen or heard of this, so I’d be very interested in any data to the contrary.

    The introduction of pitch bend / sample-rate control in firmware v1.05 did introduce some distortion (bad samples) when actually pitch bending, but this was fixed in v1.08 and later. Firmware v1.10 is on the download page now.

  • It’s not supposed to do anything if you request a track that doesn’t exist. Assuming you’re using the serial control port, can you post your code? Are you using the Arduino library or did you implement your own serial port code? Which command are you using?

  • This is great! Are you looking to sell the MIDI PCBs or provide the Eagle files? I’ll bet a number of people would find it useful.

  • Well, by your description it would appear that the LM4990 may indeed have been damaged, though I can’t say how. Data sheet implies that overheating can cause failure - how long did you play it loud?

    Yes - you can power the WAV Trigger with an external 5V using either of those pins, as long as you also close the solder jumper. Just remember not to apply 5V and use the barrel connector Vin at the same time.

  • Sorry you are having problems. A volume of +10 (dB of gain) is pretty loud if your wav file is already hot.

    When did you purchase your board? I ask because the first version was missing a capacitor and needed this mod when using the on-board amp. The latest version (WIG-12897) has the cap and does not require the mod.

    I assume you have tried another speaker? I would agree that it’s more likely that you would have fried the 0.25 Watt speaker. The stereo jack output still works, right?

  • Thanks for the feedback. I’ve tried to be clear that the WAV Trigger supports 16-bit, 44.1kHz stereo wav files. Mono support would not increase polyphony because it’s the number of files, not the number of channels, that’s important. In fact, mono would actually slow things down because it would involve extra buffer copying. I made a short video on using Audacity to convert audio files for use with the WAV Trigger.

  • Not sure where you got that impression, but the WAV Trigger is a play-back only device. It reads FAT16 or FAT32 formatted microSD cards which are written using a computer and a microSD “reader”. The WAV Trigger serial interface is just that, not a USB device connection, although you can use a USB-to-serial converter like the FTDI Basic to create a VCP connection to your computer. But that won’t support a class-compliant mass storage device connection. Hope this helps.

  • You don’t need the above info if you use the library. Look at the README file on the github page.

    You’re now asking questions about using Arduino not specific to the WAV Trigger. There’s plenty of documentation and help available online about using libraries, serial ports, connecting pots and encoders, etc. I’d encourage you to ask these question in the forums.

  • With the serial library, changing the master volume is simply wTrig.masterGain(g), where g is between -70 and +4. Track volumes are equally simple. The library handles all the details of the serial protocol for you.

    If you’re using MIDI (rather than the serial protocol) then each channel can have 128 notes or tracks. However, tracks 100 - 128 will overlap with 0 - 28 of the next channel, so effectively yes: 99 per channel.

No public wish lists :(