Member Since: October 24, 2011

Country: United States

  • Some other types – paper-in-oil (usually used at higher voltages), teflon - usually used for higher voltages and/or RF, air dielectric - look inside an ordinary radio receiver, find the variable tuning cap, though some use polyethelene or polystyrene sheets between the plates. (making it, obviously, a polyethelene or polystyrene cap), vacuum dielectric - usually found in things that use high power RF, like high power transmitters, plasma generators and such.) Last but not least is the varicap – not a capacitor like any of the above, but a diode that changes capacitance depending on the bias voltage across its junction, we’d not have things like the modern VCO (Voltage Controlled Oscillator) without this little beastie.

No public wish lists :(