×

SparkFun Electronics will be closed on July 3rd, 2015 in observance of Independence Day. Any orders placed after 2:00pm MT on July 2nd will be shipped out after the weekend. Thanks!

CSDexter

Member Since: March 19, 2012

Country: Ireland

Profile

Spoken Languages

Romanian, English, some German, some Turkish

Programming Languages

BASIC, Pascal, C, C++, Python, Bash, PHP, JavaScript – and derivatives thereof. Some C#, some Java, some Z80 and i386 assembler.

  • The headers are 0.95USD each (so 1.9USD for both, though we both know you get them for close to nothing), the PCB is 2.5USD each in 10x quantities (or less, since you’ve got it pipelined). This leaves us with 36.09 - (2.5 + 1.9) = 31.69USD.

    Comparing with DEV-12774, which probably used a comparable amount of engineering and assembly time (laying out those prototyping holes in a perfect matrix is about the complexity of laying some 5 chips on the same I2C bus) and costs 9.95USD; I would concede that Mr. Datko gets 20USD and the remaining 11.69USD are meant to be the engineering and assembly costs.

    Finally, “engineering” is usually a term reserved for creative or complex work which is not immediatly straightforward and requires combining experience, expertise and talent. I don’t want to sound mean, but if a true engineer at SparkFun would have an apprentice, and the apprentice would have an intern, laying out this board would be the kind of warm-up exercise the intern would do right after having their morning coffee.

  • For the record and to get things straight, the only chip which has US export restrictions is the ATAES132. Also to get things straight, all the chips on that board cost exactly 23.86USD if bought from Mouser (or DigiKey, if you so prefer) in single quantities, today. SparkFun’s volume discount obviously drove that number way lower.

    So, with all due respect, where do the rest of 59.95 - 23.86 = 36.09USD go?

  • Hey SparkFun, the item description above says that “the Si4735 has been discontinued” which is false. -C40 has entered NRND status and -D60 is its replacement.

  • +1 for 1000x so that we can use the models in EagleUp as well.

  • As always, it depends on what you’re trying to do with it. The Olimex board does not/will not have anything to do with the Arduino shield pinout (this is not to say an Arduino shield could never be connected to it, at all – but not so easy). Both of them (any Allwinner-based design, actually) will suffer greatly from the lack of openness (and interest towards same) of the board support package.

    Olimex had to fight to get past the “we gave you a board that runs Android, WTF do you need anything else?!?” initial stance of the Chinese manufacturer. They are still fighting them in a bid to persuade them to release most of the critical code in a GPL-compatible manner.

    For DIY, it’s probably just as good as the board above, here at SparkFun. For commercial products/projects, it’s a much longer and painful story.

  • For what it’s worth, the Olimex guys have gone down the A10 way and probably have more info on “where is the datasheet”, “is the GPU open” and other stuff along that line.

    The good news is whatever they discover/fix goes into the Sunxi Linux patches for everyone else to enjoy, so there is hope.

    Hope this helps.

  • You’re very welcome :-) It’s encouraging to see the sleepless nights I spent reading the datasheet and fixing the library did not go to waste. Also, I’m happy to hear news from another Olimex fan :D

    Good luck, @Dexter

  • 1000USD question: how’s your GPO1 line? :-) If it’s still tied directly to MISO as on the shield, it’s not going to work. See the README of the library.

  • To whom it may concern,

    I have taken the liberty of forking J. Carrier’s code and refactoring it to eliminate all problems caused by (at least) not following the data sheet accurately enough. The resulting code is on github and I have tested it with the Si4735 Breakout Board connected to both an Arduino Uno R3 (using level converters and an Arduino Pro Mini 328/3.3V/8MHz (directly).

    It works without any problem or glitch – please feel free to check it out and prove me wrong on this one :-) I will be more than happy to iron out any remaining bugs.

    I have also refactored and enhanced the two examples that shipped with the initial library, I hope you will find those useful and verbose enough to get a good feeling current version of the library. I plan to also implement I2C mode and further refine the RDS/RDBS code to include a full-standard decoder.

    In the hope you’ll find it useful, @Dexter

No public wish lists :(