Member Since: January 5, 2013

Country: United States

  • News - Enginursday - On Self Tau… | about 8 months ago

    I’ll second that. Lancaster’s books were phenomenal!

  • News - The Moment of Truth | last year

    Excellent write up. When I was a young engineer we had a game going. When we worked at fixing a board (of known good design) we would ask if the problem could have been found by visual inspection. About 99% of the time, looking closely would have found the problem. Of course we DID look closely, sometimes just not close enough. ;-)

    Another tip: For new (unproven) designs it is sometimes useful to add components a little at a time to bring up the board in sections. For instance, bring up the power supply portion of the board before adding the rest of the circuit. This can be complex. You have to know how each section interacts with the others (like the power supply might require a load to regulate), but if used correctly this can vastly simplify debugging a complex new design.

  • News - New Product Friday: New P… | last year

    Welcome home Robert!

  • News - Chernobyl and the Leiger | about a year ago

    Different strokes… ;-) That’s the nice thing about creativity. We can each take a different approach and even if the results are similar they are uniquely our own. I look forward to seeing the photos you take on the trip.

  • News - Chernobyl and the Leiger | about a year ago

    Very nice job on the Leiger. It is a great example of pulling together existing component modules into a unique new application. I look forward to the tear-down to see how you got that professional looking case/front panel. Looks like it will be an awesome trip. Are you sure you don’t want to take a longer lens? The max in the picture is 100mm. I would at least want my 70-200 for such a trip. Have a great time and get home safe.

  • Product DEV-11520 | about a year ago

    From a quick look at the schematic, it appears that the XBee socket (WiFly) is on the second serial port not the USB port. I recall reading that there is support for the second serial port by calling Serial1.begin and Serial1.print (note the subtle numeral 1 at the end of “Serial”). I might not be remembering this right, that is, I might have the ports reversed. Double check the documents before changing your sketch. If it’s not in the documents for this product, take a look at the docs for the Pro Micro (DEV-11098) they use the same microcontroller. In particular look at the “Getting Started Tutorial”.

  • Product SEN-08942 | about a year ago

    Here is another source for anemometer/wind vane, albeit expensive at $100.


    This looks like a very well made device. Reading the description, someone should be able to adapt the weather board to read this. I haven’t tried it and make no promises, but it looks interesting.

    They have a rain bucket too, but I haven’t investigated it.

  • Product SEN-08942 | about a year ago

    I bought a set of these as “WS-2080 replacement parts”. You can find them on ebay for about $20 (plus shipping) for each of weather vane, anemometer and rain bucket. Search on “WS-2080”. Leave the “Ambient” off the search or all you will get are weather station packages, not the parts. I have confirmed that the vane and anemometer work with the Sparkfun Weather Board. I have not confirmed the rain bucket yet.

    When you buy them this way, you don’t get the mast or the cross bar, but this is all DIY right? At least they are available.

  • Product WRL-11047 | about a year ago

    (Update) Soldering done. The WiFly module works fine with the SFE Weather Board. The combo ran for over 15 hrs on a new fully charged 850mAHr LiPo Battery. That was with the transmitter set for full power and never putting the WiFly to sleep. See more details in my posting on the SFE Weather Board product page.

  • Product SEN-10586 | about a year ago

    (replying with an update) I was able to solder in the sockets for the XBee/WiFly and RJ11s without seriously damaging anything. Since I had already set up the WiFly for telnet (See my post on that product page) I just plugged in the WiFly and opened up a connection. I started seeing weather data immediately. Since everything seemed to be working, I plugged in a new freshly charged LiPo battery (PRT-00341), restarted the connection and let it run. It ran on the battery for 15hrs, 25min, 29sec. The battery voltage started at 4.13v and the last reading before it failed was 3.43v. I suspect it would have run longer with the LiPower Boost Converter (PRT-10255). I guess I’ll be picking up one of those next. Doing the math (850mAHr/15.43472HR) gives an average current draw of 55.1mA. That’s pretty rough guestimate at this stage. I want to experiment to nail that down better. Also, I had the transmitter set to full power. I expect I could back that off some. Anyway, still liking this product!

No public wish lists :(