×

SparkFun Electronics will be closed in observance of memorial day on Monday, May 29th. We will resume normal business hours on Tuesday, May 30th. Any orders placed after 2pm Mountain Time on Friday, May 26th will process and ship out on Tuesday, May 30th.

Member #492383

Member Since: November 26, 2013

Country: United States

  • I built something similar, but I’m monitoring 16 plants. And, instead of connecting to the internet, there’s a blinky light in each plant to indicate that the soil is dry. There are 13 plants in my window though, which exceeded the port count of my Arduino, so I used a pair of shift registers for LED power, and a couple of 16-port multiplexers (one to power the probes, and one to do analog reads) so that I could hook 16 sensors to one arduino. I didn’t hook it to the internet. The cost in Arduino parts was more like 25 dollars (a little over a dollar per plant) from Sparkfun. Admittedly, the wire running to each plant from the Arduino aren’t the most beautiful thing in the world, but it does the job fairly well.

  • If you paint the border red, I wonder who owns the copyright on that? Maybe you should submit a copyright for red-bordered multimeters before it’s too late…

  • Same problem, same fix. If I was really good, I’d try to resolder the battery holder, using less solder. But the aluminum foil trick worked so well, why bother :)

  • ok, I spent a day getting this working, thought it might help to lay out what worked for the next person.

    My config can be described like this:

    transmitter connected to an arduino pro mini 3.3v, 8 mHz Receiver connected to an arduino uno redboard from the inventor’s kit.

    The final wiring config

    Pro mini

    • transmitter connected to 3.3v, gnd and signal(pin 10)
    • I didn’t add an antenna line.

    uno

    • receiver connected to 5v, gnd and signal(pin 9)
    • I didn’t connect the extra grounds, or the antenna line here either.

    the KLP walkthrough did not work for me, and neither did the AVR tutorial. I think this may be because it relies on the rx/tx pins used by the usb serial port, and I was most likely corrupting the signal while troubleshooting.

    The http://letsmakerobots.com/node/12336 did work, but with slight modifications. I had to change from pin 23 since my Uno only goes to 13, and I randomly selected pin 2 (this was a mistake, I’ll get to why below). I still wasn’t getting a transmission across, so I dragged out the oscilloscope. I measured signal on pin 9, and it was only getting to about 0.5 volts on the “high” signal. I decided to try a different pin, 11, as it’s got the tilde next to it. Suddenly I had it working, but only partly. I’m guessing that PWM (pulse width modulation) is the difference, so selecting pin 2 (no PWM capability) was an unlucky choice. At this point, switching pins is nothing more than a cargo-cult thing for me. I’m not confident that it was the solution, but I believe so. Can anyone help me prove/disprove that conclusion?

    So now I was getting output, but instead of the correct characters from the test message, I was getting their integer equivalents. I modified the letsmakerobots example as seen below. I marked the lines I changed with “mod:tim”:

    char temp=0;//mod:tim:added a temporary character    
    for (i = 0; i < buflen; i++)
    {   temp=(char)buf[i];//mod:tim:convert uint to char
        Serial.print(temp);  //mod:tim:changed buff[i] to temp here
        }
    Serial.println("");
     }
    

    So now I have a decent connection between an arduino uno and an arduino pro mini, using VirtualWire-1.20. As far as I can tell, nothing special needs to be done to talk between an 8mhz and a 16mhz arduino. Next task is setting up 315 receiver/transmitter pairs to make the communication go both ways. Wish me luck :)

    edit:correct inaccuracies.

  • Finally, headgear that will distract from my beauty. I’m sick of being just a pretty face. Hey girls, my eyes are up here!

No public wish lists :(