Description: This is a breakout board for the Bosch BMP180 high-precision, low-power digital barometer. The BMP180 offers a pressure measuring range of 300 to 1100 hPa with an accuracy down to 0.02 hPa in advanced resolution mode. It’s based on piezo-resistive technology for high accuracy, ruggedness and long term stability. These come factory-calibrated, with the calibration coefficients already stored in ROM. What makes this sensor great is that it is nearly identical to its former rev, the BMP085!
This breadboard-friendly board breaks out every pin to a 5-pin 0.1" pitch header. VCC can be from 1.8V to 3.6V and is I/O lines are 5V tolerant; we typically run it on a clean, regulated 3.3V supply. The analog and digital supplies (VDDD and VDDA) are tied to a single header pin, but are separately decoupled. It connects to a microcontroller via I²C bus (also known as TWI, or on the Arduino, the “Wire” library).
Based on 9 ratings:
1 of 1 found this helpful:
This barometer is dead simple to use. Example code let me build altitude telemetry into my Radian glider. One Moteino (Arduino with transceiver) + BMP180 in the glider. One Moteino + OLED display on the ground. Moteino provides a 915 MHz link. Shows current altitude above ground and average of last ten readings. Easy to know when the glider is in a thermal. GREAT PRODUCT!
I connect all the pins to the redboard correctly, and have the redboard run the example program on the SFE website, and all that happens it this thing starts heating up and SMOKING! What a rip off! Do NOT buy!OLD REVIEW
I got my replacement, and finally hooked it up. It works w/o the smoke effects now, but “works” is an overstatement. My current elevation is ~500 ft, and the pressure here is 30.43 according to NOAA. Here is the output from my RedBoard:
provided altitude: 1655 meters, 5430 feet temperature: 20.27 deg C, 68.48 deg F absolute pressure: 987.20 mb, 29.16 inHg relative (sea-level) pressure: 1205.71 mb, 35.61 inHg computed altitude: 1655 meters, 5430 feet
Obviously, you get what you pay for.
Hi, Sounds like you received a bad unit. I’ll contact you directly about a replacement. Thanks
0 of 1 found this helpful:
It works fine and shows a steady indication of barometric pressure. I want it to work independent of a computer. I have several LCD shields and I would like to redirect the output to the LCD. Right now I have several projects going on, so that may take a while.
Thanks to the previous review I bought this amazingly simple to use breakout, everything was up and running in less than 20 minutes.
This sensor works very well with the ATmegas – Uno, pro mini, etc.
However, I cannot get it working with ATtinys for the life of me. I’ve tried scoping it, and SDA and SCL are always high while this is connected. I’ve tried many different ways (TinywireM was my first bet) to get this working. I’ve removed it from the Tiny AVR programmer (which apparently has issues with i2c when using in-circuit). I’ve tried and reconfirmed 1mhz or 8mhz bootloader burning, with adjusting the TinyWireM library as necessary for the CPU speed change. I will probably try bitbanging in a bit.
Blinking an led works great.
Can anyone confirm?
I got it working on an ESP8266 with no difficulties but I kept getting incorrect readings compared to a barometer on my desk and the NWS station about three miles away (a difference of about 10-15 hPa). Looking through the library, the forumulas for computing the compensated temperatures and pressures do not match the data sheet at all. It looks like the library is just a copy of the BMP085 library without checking that the algorithm was the same. I’m going to try and rewrite my copy to see if the final pressures come out closer to the right value.
I have been unable to get the BMP180 to work with the LinkM (USB to I2C converter) using libusb-1.0. I have had the BMP085 working with legacy libusb-0.1. Libs are very similar so change over should have gone easy. Using same parameters in libusb calls, but in someway things are not equal. So can’t give complete review. The BMP085 certainly worked fine.
-3.3V- works well and was running in minutes. Outputting data to an LCD. Very nicely put together and ready to mount up. Very happy to have one on my current project.