SparkFun will be closed Nov 26th and 27th for the Thanksgiving holiday. Orders placed after 2:00pm MT on the 25th will ship out Monday the 30th.
Description: The RN-52 Bluetooth from Roving Networks is an audio module that makes it simple for you to create a hands free audio system for your car or remote control your media center. With this breakout board we’ve made it easy for you to drop it into any project you could use it for. All pertinent headers are broken out and labeled for your convenience.
The RN-52 module combines a class 2 Bluetooth radio with an embedded digital signal processor (DSP). The module is programmed and controlled with a simple ASCII command language. It provides a UART interface, several user programmable I/O pins, stereo speaker outputs, microphone inputs, and a USB port.
Based on 5 ratings:
2 of 2 found this helpful:
Microchip Technology, having bought Roving Networks years ago is terrible at supporting the RN-52. Much of the API is totally undocumented and prevents a person from hooking up line-level audio directly to the RN-52 which supports it (line-level input).
Having worked there for 3 years I expected far better/faster support. I finally DID get some:
The microphone gain can be changed from -3dB to 42dB in linear steps. If the gain is set to less than 24dB using the ‘SM’ command the line in mode is automatically entered.
The audio output is a speaker level signal and not line level signal.
MIC_L+/- is used for HFP mode.
Hope this review helps you guys!
Thanks for sharing
The product is the best, arrived on time, and the tutorials helped me make it work. I am happy with the product.
This thing worked like a charm right from the get go. I built a Bluetooth interface for a motorcycle and it can communicate only about 6-8 ft, but that’s through fairing and container.
The only problem I have with it is that information regarding setting and programming is extremely limited and the information available is tough for someone at my amateur level of electronics to understand.
I have been able to connect to the RN52 with my iPOD, but not able to get any sound through it yet. It would be nice to know what level of firmware is in the RN52. I have not yet connected through the UART port. Still working on getting that to work.
Getting this up and running, paired to a phone and playing music took around 15 minutes. SparkFun’s hookup guide was very helpful, if not instrumental.
Getting this thing updated with V1.16, however, consumed over 5 hours this morning. My biggest issue was that Microchip’s firmware update software didn’t run as installed on my Win7 32-bit or 64-bit machines. I kept getting “The application has failed to start due to a side-by-side configuration error”.
It seems the Visual C++ redistributable included with the firmware update software was not up to date. I could finally get the DFU program running after installing Visual C++ Redistributable SP1 from here:
Once running I discovered that firmware V1.10 does not support flashing over UART. So, I rummaged through a box of old parts and stole the cord from an old USB mouse and soldered it to the USBD+/- and ground. This worked, and the DFU driver installed automatically. At first it seems to install as a generic bluetooth device, but it switched to a DFU driver profile during the flashing process.
The procedure to flash is a bit complicated, holding GPIO3 high while “waking” it up, then holding PWR_EN high while clicking “next” before the flashing can start. SparkFun’s hookup guide suggests that you hook up the PWR_EN pin directly to the 3.3V pin all the time. I am not sure if having the PWR_EN pin connected all the time will make the flashing procedure any easier as I opted to follow the DFU’s recommendation exactly.
After all that, the flash procedure doesn’t end properly. It errors out when trying to perform a “reboot” after the flash is complete, though after power cycling it seems to work OK.
This thread on Microchip’s forums was helpful:
From my brief time with V1.16, there’s some strange idiosyncrasies, but the command reference is helping get the configuration sorted out. There are periodic breaks in the streaming (½ second or less, once or twice in every 3 or 4 songs).
BTW, the command reference for V1.16 is here:
I purchased the above with the recommended FTDI 3.3V board. This made connection to the UART very easy. I am using HyperTerminal copied from an old XP machine.
Now, I am struggling to try and retrieve track metadata. I issue the command “AD” which returns nothing but “AOK”. After some head scratching and google searching, it appears that track metadata is only supported in A2DP 1.3 or later, which is a phone problem not an RN-52 problem. I have an HTC Amaze, running ICS version 4.0.3 which, as far as I can tell, is still A2DP version 1.0. So, I’ll have to borrow someone else’s newer phone to verify if this works.
FWIW the caller ID data (command “T”) works great. It returns the phone number and the name from your contact card.
It’s a fun little project, that’s for sure.
Edit (2015/11/12): I just tried the “AD” command while connected to a friend’s Samsung Galaxy S5. It works! This is the data that was returned: Title=Fly Artist=Maddie & Tae Album=NewMusicDownloader TrackNumber=39 TrackCount=68 Genre=<unknown> Time(ms)=217349