This product has been retired from our catalog and is no longer for sale. This page is made available for those looking for datasheets and the simply curious.
This product has some level of export control/restriction, so may be delayed by 2-3 business days when shipping outside the United States. Contact us with questions, or we will contact you after you place your order.
Description: This is a breakout board for the SC16IS750, a handy chip used to convert I2C or SPI serial signals to a single-channel, high-performance UART. As an application example: we use this chip on our WiFly Shield to allow an Arduino to communicate with the WiFly RN-131G module - which is normally controlled via a UART - using an SPI interface. This allows for greater communication speeds and frees up the Arduino’s UART for other purposes.
Power applied to the ‘VIN’ pin is sent through a 3.3V LDO regulator before powering the IC. The input pins of the SC16IS750 are 5.5V tolerant, so this board should work with both 3.3V and 5V controllers. Also populated on the board is a 14.7456MHz crystal, to serve as a clock input to the chip, and other supporting components.
This board breaks out all pins of the SC16IS750 to two breadboard friendly 11-pin, 0.1" pitch headers.
Dimensions: 1.10x0.90" (27.9x22.9mm)
Replaces:BOB-09745. The reason for the replacement is the 12.288MHz crystal on BOB-09745 did not allow for the full range of baud rates. The 14.7456MHz crystal on this board increases the functionality to include all of the common baud rates from 9600 up to 921600.
Based on 4 ratings:
1 of 1 found this helpful:
Breakout boards like these are great for proof of concept - either proving out a design before committing design to manufacture, or getting code up and ready for verifying quick-turn pcbs when they are ready.
Be aware that like many chips, these are only somewhat 5v tolerant. 5V SPI interfacing works just fine, but it’s not completely clear that all of the IO pins can handle being driving at 5v.
I am using a FEZ Raptor and I found the BOB-09981 overcame my problem. See blog at http://www.rescuerobot.org/drupal/?q=blog under “Homebrew Robot” for details about wiring and code.
It was fairly straightforward to translate the spi code to i2c given that I already had the accelerometer running in i2c. But while the accelerometer has an address of 5C, this device has an address of 9A.. The breakthrough was reading an article that said i2c addressing is confusing. The 5C device worked fine but this device didn’t work until I changed the address shift one bit to 4D. Then it worked. With shared devices on the i2c buss you can’t do blocking IO so I had to do my reads by polling the device. But it worked fore reading my key presses and that is what I used it for.
I am using this with and Edison using C and mmra.