Due to some global internet issues outside of our control you may have issues accessing PayPal or using GitHub through our site. Please be patient and hopefully they’ll be up and functioning correctly soon!
Description: This is the fantastically easy to use sensor from Maxbotix. We are extremely pleased with the size, quality, and ease of use of this little range finder. The serial interface is a bit odd (it’s RS232 instead of TTL), but the PWM and Analog interfaces will allow any micro to listen easily enough. The sensor provides very accurate readings of 0 to 255 inches (0 to 6.45m) in 1 inch increments with little or no dead zone!
Maxbotix is offering the EZ0, EZ1, EZ2, EZ3, and EZ4 with progressively narrower beam angles allowing the sensor to match the application. Please see beam width explanation below.
Control up to 10 sensors with only two pins! Checkout the Maxbotix FAQ listed below.
Checkout Mikey Sklar’s flame-based trampoline, the high-lighter, using the EZ1!
Based on 1 ratings:
Summary: Never been accurate at all with me. Not exaggerating. Managed to use it for precision measurements for a project of mine by correcting the deviation of readings in my program. But absolutely useless for anything else. Probably have faulty units.
Full: I got 2 of these sensors, and first time using either one (using the PW pin, not the Analog, and inputting in 5V), got 56 inches as the initial value (whatever the reading divided by 147), even though my hand was right above it (2 inches max). To make things worse, putting my hand a way so that it would read the ceiling above (at 75 inches) changed none of the readings. It stayed at 56. Then tried absolutely everything. Used both the analog and PW pins through multiple runs (each one giving completely different values btw - first time 56, then we went to 60, then 42, then 78, and so on), neither ever gave anything anywhere near accurate - I mean unbelievable. Tried 2 different capacitors (100 and 110 microfarad) and no capacitor at all. Gone through forums. So much just to get a SOMEWHAT accurate reading from these things, but to no avail whatsoever. The only thing this was good for was challenging me programming-wise to manage to gain some precision from these things by using averages, finding the mode, and constain() function (which basically made the values used binary - 0 if there was something within an inch of it, and 1 otherwise), which worked for the project I was working with it on. I might have had faulty units (which is incredibly frustrating considering I live very far away and this takes forever to reach here) or somehow it got damaged before I used it. Either way, very unhappy.