Description: This is a board designed for opto-isolation. This board is helpful for connecting digital systems (like a 5V microcontroller) to a high-voltage or noisy system. This board electrically isolates a controller from the high-power system by use of an opto-isolator IC. This IC has two LEDs and two photodiodes built-in. This allows the low-voltage side to control a high voltage side.
We often use this board to allow a microcontroller control servos or other motors that use a higher voltage than the TTL logic on the (3.3V or 5V) micro, and may cause electromagnetic interferance with our system as the motors turn on and off. This board will isolate the systems, creating a type of electrical noise barrier between devices.
This breakout board uses the ILD213T optoisolator and discrete transistors to correct the logic. Comes with two channels. Great for use in noisy circuits where signal lines require electrical isolation.
A normal LED opto-isolator will invert the logic of a signal. We threw some transistors on this compact board to correct the inversion. What you put into the IN pins, will be replicated on the the OUT pins, but at the higher voltage (HV).
Based on 4 ratings:
2 of 2 found this helpful:
The 10k load resistors on the “output side” mean the switching time of the optocoupled transistors are close to 100 us, which means baud rates above 9600 will not work. This means the breakout is useless for a MIDI application (which is optoisolated transmission at 31250 baud serial). So good for isolation, not for fast signalling.
Used to opto-isolate my arduino from a stepper motor, fairly straight forward to solder posts to it and use.
0 of 1 found this helpful:
I needed to monitor and emulate marine pump alarms with a +3.3V microcontroller. I just added the 1.5K ohm resistors in series and everything worked as planned. I was able to sense the 12V alarms and and forward serialized data to a system monitor with ease.
the board is small,so soldering by hand takes care. I put mounting pins on the opto board and then soldered to the main board– this was effective