SparkFun is looking for an IT Application Development Manager to lead the design, implementation and support of our custom backend application software and integration with our eCommerce solution.
Pay: $100,000 - $120,000 / year
Shift: M-F 9-5 with flexibility
Since 2003, SparkFun has been helping turn ideas into reality – whether you’re creating a smart weather station, exploring the frontier of machine learning, building a robot for school or prototyping your first (or tenth) product. No matter your vision or skill level, our open source components, resources and online tutorials are designed to broaden access to innovative technology and make the road to a finished project shorter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. SparkFun offers an abundance of opportunities to learn new skills from other Funions, in addition to many other benefits and perks.
About SparkFun's Next IT Applications Development Manager
At SparkFun, we run our entire business using a custom ERP solution, which supports our inventory, shipping, production, and product development functions. A critical system tuned to the needs of our nimble operations, this custom application is key component of SparkFun’s success and a differentiator of our company.
Additionally, this position takes an active role in the expansion of applications and technologies focused on delivering easy-to-use capabilities to our customers. This includes the development of our rapid prototyping web application, SparkFun A La Carte.
The right candidate collaboratively works a variety of internal customers, guiding their inputs and interaction throughout the entire software development lifecycle. By facilitating the creation and management of user needs, the elaboration and prioritization of work, and successful user acceptance testing, the IT Application Development Manager ensures development and delivery of the desired user functionality.
In this role, you’ll oversee a team of technical professionals, employing a devops methodology to the design, development, and operation of our internal application software and systems.
Essential Job Functions
- Define, document, and lead the development and operation of SparkFun’s customized IT applications and application integrations.
- Manage the IT Applications team personnel and operations
- Oversee and refine the development processes for our internal software applications and integrations
- Meet with internal customers and facilitate the creation of requirements and user stories
- Manage and coordinate with contractors and development partners as needed.
- Fill a senior manager position within SparkFun, actively participating in company-wide operation and planning activities.
- Mentor software developers, project managers and internal software project participants
- 3+ years experience developing web-based applications.
- 3+ years experience managing IT application devops teams
- Experience developing software via an agile process.
- Strong understanding of websites and web-based applications, including architectural patterns and operational flow
- Experience with user-centric software development and requirement elaboration
- Experience with commercial eCommerce platforms
- Experience with cloud-based IT infrastructure design, deployment, use patterns and methodologies
- Excellent organizational and decision-making skills. Approaches tasks with a get-it-done attitude.
- Solution-minded problem solver that takes a flexible and pragmatic approach.
- Excellent communication, coaching and leadership skills
- Familiarity with agile scum software development management tools
- AWS operational experience
- Knowledge of networking architectures and systems best practices
SparkFun Benefits & Perks
At SparkFun, we ask a lot of our employees, and that’s why we give so much in return. Here are just some of the benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Medical/dental/vision plan
- Matching 401(k),
- A casual dress code for you
- Dogs - yes, we bring dogs to work
- Full gym with climbing wall. If that’s not your style we offer a monthly gym stipend or onsite yoga
- We have a great employee discount and opportunities to create and share content with the SparkFun community
- Paid Parental Leave
- Paid time to volunteer
- EcoPass (public transportation pass)
- Paid time and/or flexible time off
- Summer BBQs, work parties, and more!