Description: Replacement: DEV-10027. The new sensor kit adds a soft pot and flex sensor. This page is for reference only.
Want to start playing with sensors, but don’t know where to start? This kit includes a sensor for just about every job. With everything included in this kit, you’ll be able to sense acceleration, distance, compass heading, vibration, humidity, movement, ambient light, temperature, and more! These are our favorite sensors from each category.
There is a newer version of the kit that costs a bit extra which includes a soft pot and flex sensor.
This huge assortment of sensors makes an amazing gift for that very special electronics geek; they won’t be able to thank you enough! For other great gift ideas, check out our SparkFun Gift Guide.
One of each of the below products is included in this kit, a total of twelve sensors (plus a magnet), each with a different purpose. What kind of crazy project could you whip up to make use of all of these:
- HMC6352 - Compass Module Breakout Board - An accurate, simple-to-use digital compass with an I2C interface. Resolution of up to 0.5 degrees.
- ADXL335 - Triple-Axis Accelerometer Breakout Board - Senses acceleration along all three axes, with a range of up to ±3g. Fully analog interface.
- LISY300AL - Single-Axis Gyro Breakout Board - Senses angular velocity along a single axis of rotation. Fully analog interface with a range of up to ±300°/s.
- Large Piezo Vibration Sensor - With Mass - A flexible film able to sense for vibration, touch, shock, etc. When the film moves back and forth an AC wave is created, with a voltage of up to ±90.
- Reed Switch - Senses magnetic fields, makes for a great non-contact switch.
- 0.25" Magnet Square - Plays nicely with the reed switch.
- 0.5" Force Sensitive Resistor - A force sensing resistor with a 0.5" diameter sensing area. Great for sensing pressure (i.e. if it’s being squeezed).
- PIR Motion Sensor - Easy-to-use motion detector with an analog interface. Power it with 5-12VDC, and you’ll be alerted of any movement.
- Ultrasonic Rangefinder - Maxbotix LV-EZ1 - Distance sensor with both analog and RS-232 interfaces, providing sonar range information from 6 to 254 inches.
- SHT15 Humidity and Temperature Sensor Breakout Board - A high precision humidity and temperature sensor with a 2-wire serial interface.
- IR Receiver Breakout Board - An analog interfaced IR receiver, sensitive to a wide range of IR waves. Great for ‘listening’ to TV remotes.
- Mini Photocell - The photocell will vary its resistance based on how much light it’s exposed to. Will vary from 1kΩ in the light to 10kΩ in the dark.
- Optical Detector/Phototransistor - An all-in-one infrared emitter and detector. Ideal for sensing black-to-white transitions or can be used to detect nearby objects.