SparkFun will be closed Friday 7/3/2020 for the 4th of July holiday. All orders placed after 2 pm MT on Thursday 7/2/2020 will be shipped out on Monday 7/6/2020. SparkFun Support will also resume on Monday 7/6/2020. Have a safe holiday!
A simple and inexpensive way to add a little flare to some thrift store treasures.
If you're like me and love digging through other people’s castoffs at the thrift store, then you probably have a lot of weird artwork in your house. I have been looking into ways to jazz up some of my old pieces, and I came up with just the thing to do it!
I thought about all of the resources we have for paper circuits and decided to adapt some existing projects for this purpose. If you are new to paper circuits, getting started with a paper circuit greeting card, or light-up pin is a good way to introduce yourself. I am a novice in the realm of electronics and technology, so I love that paper circuits offer a low barrier-to-entry. I combined my love of thrift store treasure hunting and my professional work to create this fun project!
The first step was to head to the thrift store to pick up a few abandoned paintings to light up. I tried to search for and identify aspects of the artwork that would look good with lights. My goal was to seamlessly incorporate the electronics with the existing artwork, and I based my selections on what I thought would work best. I ended up purchasing four pieces of artwork, totaling a whopping $11!
Once the art was obtained, I searched the SparkFun catalog to determine the best hardware for the job. I knew I wanted to use copper tape and our newly restocked Chibitronic LED stickers. After consulting a few more experienced makers, I decided to use the LilyPad Battery Holder as the power source and the LilyTwinkle and LilyTiny for two of the paintings with multiple LEDs.
After identifying the parts I wanted to light up, I laid out my LED stickers in the correct orientation and created a circuit to connect the lights to the power source and LilyPad board. I decided to solder the boards, lights and copper wire for a more secure connection.
Here is what the individual circuits look like from behind!
Here is the finished collection, which I turned into a gallery wall!
There are a couple things I would have done differently, but I think the result was successful and I am happy with the way things turned out. I have even gotten a few requests to turn regular old art around the office into light-up art!