SparkFun Electronics will be closed on July 3rd, 2015 in observance of Independence Day. Any orders placed after 2:00pm MT on July 2nd will be shipped out after the weekend. Thanks!
This week it's a very different new product post where we talk about the process of carrying new products.
Hello everyone. This week's new product post is going to be a bit different. Last week I mentioned that we didn't have many new products. Instead of rehashing an older product or coming up with some crazy prank, I decided to switch gears a bit and give you some insight into the process of carrying a new product. It takes a lot of people, time, and effort to add each additional product into the catalog. The video this week explains this whole process to give you a brief overview of what it takes to expand our product selection.
Vimeo version can be found here.
Dozens of people are involved in every new product we carry and there are substantial hours put into each product. The process can be a bit more involved for things we manufacture since that might involve several products which get used in production, multiple prototypes, etc. Also, even though our engineering department is involved in every new product, they are much more involved in products we design.
So hopefully that gives you a better idea of what it takes. If you have any questions, post a comment below. We did have a couple new revisions this week, so I'll still stick to the routine and go over those.
First up, we've got the 1M RGB LED strips back in stock. We had to switch to a different supplier, but they're the same as they were before. If you're not familiar with these, they are pretty cool. You can individually control each RGB LED to make some pretty crazy patterns. They can also be chained together to make some pretty cool displays and arrays.
Everyone had some good suggestions for the BMP085, so we decided to make a revision including the feedback. The new BMP085 Breakout Board now uses a 0.1uF cap and has solder jumpers so you can disable the I2C pullup resistors. We even added some mounting holes to make it easier to integrate into a project. Hope you like the changes.
And lastly, we have a new revision of our LilyPad ProtoSnap Development Board. We've made the 'snapping' part a bit easier with more holes and a tweak in the dimensions, and are using a new surface mount vibe motor for the vibe board. We're constantly tweaking the design and functionality of the ProtoSnap line.
Well, here we are, at the conclusion to yet again another Friday New Product Post. Hopefully you found the video interesting and maybe you were looking forward to one of the revisions above. Thanks for reading and we'll be back again next week with a regular product post.